Advertise here

The 'Codice Fiscale' Simplified

In today’s blog I am going to talk to you a bit more about paperwork (there are tips in the post How to complete paperwork without dying in the process). I would assume that paperwork will be your new best friend during the first month of an Erasmus.

The focus of today is the codice fiscale (fiscal code), which is a type of Italian ID, that you have to have before completing any paperwork because it is required for absolutely everything. For the university, the flat, the doctor (although your EHIC should be enough for this), for the supermarket loyalty card…

You can get this ID from a revenue agency, which is a building that will have one of the following logos:





You can find the Cassino office at the following address:

Via Ausonia, 21, 03043 Cassino FR, Italia

To get here, which you will find a bit further along than the building of vice-chancellor’s office, you can walk, although it is a long walk of around 30 minutes from the Cassino train station, or by bus. The bus can be taken from the station and if you tell the bus driver where you’re going to, they will often, very kindly, stop the bus right in front of it. In any case, I would recommend going by bus, because when you arrive you have to walk halfway down the road, and it is well-known that they drive a bit crazily. For that reason, they compensate by making us pay only €1 to arrive there first.

Upon arriving, take a number and wait in whichever office. My advice is to not give them your address when they call you up. I’ll explain: I gave my address of Vitoria-Gasteiz (Spain), as you can do, and the card never arrived.

When I refer to the card, I refer to the following:





Erasmus people will only see the green card. This card is very important, especially for smokers because you need it to buy tobacco from the machines. The idea, to be able to get the card, is in the following.

In the majority of places, to be able to fill in a contract they will ask you for your fiscal code, but when you first arrive in Italy, it’s important to have an address for this. For this, I suggest the two following alternatives:

  1. If you sign the contract without a fiscal code, that’s not a problem, register the address of your flat and it will be sent by post.
  2. Talk to the home-owner so they can give you the address and sign the contract with the code, having put the address of the flat before signing.

Do NOT pay any attention to the person that tells you that you can modify the address later on the contract, because I am still waiting for my card.

Two people can have the same code, as they are calculated the following way:

The code is a combination of 16 characters. The first three of your surname, the first three consonants, the next three consonants of your first name. The last two numbers your birth year. The first letter of your birth month. The birth day, the town code (in this case, Cassino) and a letter such as one from ‘DNI’ (ID in Italian) that is calculated from the previous characters.

In the case of two people having the same one, as can happen, they are responsible for making any changes.

If you’re curious about what your 'Codice Fiscale' number would look like, I’ll leave a link at the end of this paragraph. In this link, put in the information that appears and it will calculate your number.

Here it is: Codice Fiscale

I hope this post has been useful and, as always, thank you very much for reading :)

Photo gallery

Content available in other languages

Comments (0 comments)

Want to have your own Erasmus blog?

If you are experiencing living abroad, you're an avid traveller or want to promote the city where you live... create your own blog and share your adventures!

Don’t have an account? Sign up.

Wait a moment, please

Run hamsters! Run!